About Me

My photo
Twitter @emmajanecorsan Instagram: @emmajanemint YouTube: Cheesemint Productions

She appears composed, so she is, I suppose

Hi there,

Welcome to this unorganised collection of my writings, thoughts, creative notes and ramblings. It may not be coherent and at times may be a little hard to follow. Such is the nature of language and I'm not writing for anyone else, just myself, in an attempt to organise my thoughts and to aid me with my creative work but please feel free to peruse and comment if you wish to do so.

XO,

Emma-Jane

Tuesday 5 May 2009

The Kindness of Strangers...

Exhibition is happening fo'real!

The Drop In Centre presents...

Serena Caulfield
Emma-Jane Corsan
Mark Jennings
Cherry Styles

Curated by Alison MacRonald

The House Warming!

Private view 26th May

at Unit 5, off of Magdalen St, Norwich!


Woo!

With that in mind...I've been working hard like a good Emma should. Today has been quite productive...whilst planning exhibition details etc. I had a bit of a breakthrough. Have decided to make my work interactive to fit in wth the theme of the exhbition. We want to make it as homely as possible. So, I'm going with the coffee table idea. What's the coffee table idea you say?

Well, I shall tell you. I've decided to make a coffee table out of "coffee table books" This is a comment on the absurdity of books for display purposes only (see my last blog entry!) and fits in with my previous work in that it involves the manipulation of books and the creation of something new out of existing objects/media. Rather than adapting the narrative of a book as I have been doing, I will use the books in their entirety and give them a purpose, not only as art but also as a functioning coffee table. On this table will be a few of the paperbacks which I have "destroyed" for my viewer to peruse, whilst sitting on a selection of comfy cushions. Above them there will be 2 book shelves which will hold my book sculptures and a few more of my books. The idea is that the viewer can take books off the shelf and look through them. As the coffee table will be covered with a layer of perspex, I might even throw in a cuppa for them!

That's the plan anyway...

On the other side of things; the resubmission of my research project is done and dusted...although I am a little worried as I don't think it's even half as good as the one I gave in and failed! Very scary...although it's a relief to have it done! We'll be starting a new unit soon; Learning Conversations (whatever that might be!) so I'm pleased to have finished.

This exhibition has also motivated me and inspired me to think "big"...as I still enjoy using books I decided that for the exhibition I would go a'hunting for lots more books...hundreds. Ambitious, yes. Realistic...yes, actually! Although I never thought it would be! I sent an email to all of the students at NUCA and a few Facebook messages requesting any unwanted books...despite offering to pay I've been offered 4 boxes worth of books as well as buying some top quality hardbacks and coffee table type books for a damn good price! It's really surprised me just how kind strangers can be (friends too of course - although that's a given!) and so I've also decided to make a mention in the exhibition (in the form of some kind of list) of all the people who donated/sold me their books! People have been so kind that I feel I owe it to them at the very least. That, and baked goods Emma-stylee! Speaking of which, as our exhibition is called The House Warming we'll be putting on tea/coffee/cakes as well as the usual wine and beer at the private view. All cakes made by me!

I suppose I better get back to work, as I've got little time left (not only am I working at Borders but I'm working for the Norfolk and Norwich Festival at the moment too so my precious art-making time is being eaten away!)

Although, I do feel as if I'm finally becoming an artist and I'm relieved to have found my feet...true it's taken 6/7 months...but hey, I got there in the end! I've begun to associate my work within a wider context and discover where my practice fits in the contemporary art world. I don't expect to become the next big artist or anything...it just feels amazing to have rediscovered the confidence to associate myself as an artist, I've missed it...plus it's another label to add the institutional pile, featuring such delights as bookseller, student and not forgetting female 20-something; all of which will only to be deconstructed and recycled at a later date...hehe! I really ought to read some more Foucault!

No comments: