About Me

My photo
Twitter @emmajanecorsan Instagram: @emmajanemint YouTube: Cheesemint Productions

She appears composed, so she is, I suppose

Hi there,

Welcome to this unorganised collection of my writings, thoughts, creative notes and ramblings. It may not be coherent and at times may be a little hard to follow. Such is the nature of language and I'm not writing for anyone else, just myself, in an attempt to organise my thoughts and to aid me with my creative work but please feel free to peruse and comment if you wish to do so.

XO,

Emma-Jane

Sunday 10 May 2009

Blank Canvas Battle!

Van Gogh on "facing a blank canvas" :

"Just slap anything on when you see a blank canvas staring you in the face like some imbecile. You don't know how paralyzing that is, that stare of a blank canvas is, which says to the painter, ‘You can't do a thing’. The canvas has an idiotic stare and mesmerizes some painters so much that they turn into idiots themselves. Many painters are afraid in front of the blank canvas, but the blank canvas is afraid of the real, passionate painter who dares and who has broken the spell of `you can't' once and for all.”
(Letter to Theo van Gogh, October 1884)

Some wise words from Mr Van Gogh there...

I've recently been alerted to the fact that I struggle immensely when encountered with a blank canvas...all of my work is either carried out on books or found objects (written notes included!) The picture below are my exhibition planning notes on origami paper!)



Even my last sketchbook was brown. I somehow find it easier to create without the pressure that a traditional white blank canvas brings out. Is this is something all artists struggle with?! I hope so although I'd be interested to find out and also to learn more about why I feel paralysed when faced with blankness? Perhaps it's the fact that once I touch the blankness...it becomes my own responsibility? My own work. Strange how I can quite easily cut up books and draw on them. Yet, a blank sheet of paper I can't?! I wonder if I just lack imagination unless something is there to begin with?

When I try to I just stare at it gormlessly not knowing where to begin, how to approach it, what to create - my mind goes as blank as the canvas! I've decided to explore this aspect of my practice for one of the new units at uni; Learning Conversations. I have to pick a focus/question that I'd like to explore relating to my practice. It's certainly interesting enough for a 10 week project at least and might help with my other unit, which is my self-negotiated one. This one is still a little "unknown". I'm thinking that I might concentrate on domesticity/space through the context of books (of course!). My exhibition will help, what with it being a recreation of a living space out of books...definitely need to develop this before I begin my proposal though.

Perhaps the only way to settle this score between the Blank Canvas and Myself is to fight it!? Although, I've already destroyed a canvas...hmm, this is going to be a bit of an endless struggle methinks!

Ooooh...and one more thing, Mark gave me a great idea. (Thank you!). I'm going to take a book sculpture to a life drawing class and work on that instead of paper/canvas and maybe video it so I can get a better idea of how I work. Also, I'd be taking a non-traditional canvas to a traditional art setting! Much like my books are removed from their setting or created into one (Narratively and literally!). I think it'll be very interesting even if it turns out I learn nothing at all!

Hmm...so to sum up; Van Gogh was a wise man, the blank canvas is not my friend (I actually think it's bullying me!), domesticity needs to be explored, a life drawing class needs to be attended and I need to get working!

No comments: