About Me

My photo
Twitter @emmajanecorsan Instagram: @emmajanemint YouTube: Cheesemint Productions

She appears composed, so she is, I suppose

Hi there,

Welcome to this unorganised collection of my writings, thoughts, creative notes and ramblings. It may not be coherent and at times may be a little hard to follow. Such is the nature of language and I'm not writing for anyone else, just myself, in an attempt to organise my thoughts and to aid me with my creative work but please feel free to peruse and comment if you wish to do so.

XO,

Emma-Jane

Sunday 24 May 2009

Hume the Artist (Not to be confused with Hume the Philosopher!)

This was written yesterday in my journal(23rd May).

Have been given the go-ahead from my manager to exhibit some art work in the bookshop! So I'll have my second exhibition to plan and organise soon! This means that my self negotiated unit is already well underway!

Also, I have been looking at Gary Hume's work after my tutor said that one of my book sculptures reminded her of his work. I wanted feedback as I wasn't sure if it fitted in with the rest of my work but also I genuinely wanted her opinion. It turns out that his work is actually rather good! Thought I'd post an image of his work along with mine and write a bit about him.





Gary has a series of paintings of "sacrificial lambs", his own term for cheerleaders. They make for very interesting viewing. There are limbs everywhere, ambiguous close-ups, isolated, denatured images of young girls contorting their bodies. Quite unsettling once you realise, however they take on a strange quality, detached and disparate due to the magnified image. It is hard to tell which bit of the body you are looking at and what might look like a leg at first could also be an arm. I imagine the size also adds to this as Hume's technique involves projecting and enlarging the images he paints. This fragmentation seems to objectify each individual body part. There is a sense that the female form is being viewed yet some of the lines do not possess this quality. It is a very strange mixture of the real/unreal...

In the case of my own work, the intention was not to hide the female form, I simply found the lines interesting. I decided that it is not often that people view this part of a woman, rather, only a female woman looking down at her crossed legs can. I also like the temporary nature of the "lap". A concept which can only exist if someone is sitting. Much like a dent can only exist because it relies upon something in which the dent has been made...if that makes sense...?

No comments: