About Me

My photo
Twitter @emmajanecorsan Instagram: @emmajanemint YouTube: Cheesemint Productions

She appears composed, so she is, I suppose

Hi there,

Welcome to this unorganised collection of my writings, thoughts, creative notes and ramblings. It may not be coherent and at times may be a little hard to follow. Such is the nature of language and I'm not writing for anyone else, just myself, in an attempt to organise my thoughts and to aid me with my creative work but please feel free to peruse and comment if you wish to do so.

XO,

Emma-Jane

Wednesday 13 May 2009

A Space for Books

I've just finished writing my proposal for the self negotiated unit. These are the aims I have put together:

The Book as an Art Object and its Functionality in a Gallery and Domestic Environment

Aims:

• To explore books as art objects through theories relating to an art objects spatial environment.

• To explore my own art practice with books as art objects and to use this knowledge as a way of understanding the functionality of art.

• To research the influence that an art object can have in regard to its placement and environment on its viewer.

• To challenge what an exhibition should be or how it ought to be.

• To learn something new about my creative practice.


My reasoning for embarking on this project rests on the notion of the book as an art object. My practice involves using books as opposed to the traditional canvas. I want to learn more about my practice so that I can develop as an artist and evolve my art into something new. I’m also interested in where particular forms of art are exhibited and want to test different spaces. Particularly the spaces that books perform their functions, essentially I want to explore their natural habitat!

For example, in a domestic setting such living rooms, in bed etc. And also non-domestic settings such as a book shop, coffee shop or library.
Throughout the development of this unit I am open to the possibility of change. In fact, I expect it to happen!

I'm planning to document my exhibition as well as organising 2 more but in very different settings; the domestic (my house!) and the non-domestic (either in the book shop I work in or a coffee shop!) both of which are not usual gallery/exhibition spaces. Although, it is a trend which is becoming ever more popular and has done since the later 90s. I will also be researching around this and will hopefully learn something. Also, I'm genuinely interested in this!

Bring. It. On.

No comments: