About Me

My photo
Twitter @emmajanecorsan Instagram: @emmajanemint YouTube: Cheesemint Productions

She appears composed, so she is, I suppose

Hi there,

Welcome to this unorganised collection of my writings, thoughts, creative notes and ramblings. It may not be coherent and at times may be a little hard to follow. Such is the nature of language and I'm not writing for anyone else, just myself, in an attempt to organise my thoughts and to aid me with my creative work but please feel free to peruse and comment if you wish to do so.

XO,

Emma-Jane

Wednesday 3 June 2009

Books as Art Objects and Sellable Products: Combining the Domestic with the Commercial

During the private viewing last week, one of the viewers? (still not sure which word to use) enquired as to whether I would sell them my table. Initially I was quite taken by surprise. I hadn't considered this a possibility. I explained to this potential customer that the particular table in the exhibition wasn't in a condition to be sold as there are still several design issues that need to be resolved (based on feedback) and also because I intended to use this table in my own home. However, to my horror/surprise I found myself offering to negotiate a price for a custom made table once I had design specifications sorted and was happy with it as a final product - I took his details and gave him mine...so, um...yep, possible monetary gain in the future!

Somehow my language had shifted from art object to commercial product. I'm not sure how happy I am about this, as it's been a struggle to finally create something I saw as art. Here I am now talking about this art work as a product. Still, it fits in with my self negotiated project as I'm currently arranging my next exhibition (in a bookshop which happens to be...a commericial setting!). The exhibition will enable me to analyse books as art objects in a very different setting than that of a gallery.

This has prompted an idea, well, set one in motion actually. I was suggested to me whilst in a conversation about where I intended to take my art next by a good friend. It would also combine the commercial with the domestic: a catalogue.

I will produce a catalogue of products/furniture/soft furnishings made from books/book pages. I will give each one it's own reference number, price and name.
I have expanded this idea as I have been thinking about the end of year exhibition. I would like to create a scene incorporating all of these "products"/"art objects" much like an Ikea/MFI or to lesser degree Marks and Spencer/John Lewis display which are often made to look like a room in a house as a way of showing off the products.

I will visit some of these stores to conduct my research and possibly speak to employees who are paid specifically to create these displays.

With regard to the practical element, I've been playing around with book pages lately, seeing how far I can manipulate them as material. Good news for my poor neglected sewing machine! However, I am also looking into paper making processes. Exploring how I can possibly turn paper (book pages) into fabric. It would be a welcome return to textiles but through an art context.

No comments: